Solid Waste Division
News & Events
Are you ready for spring cleaning?
To prepare yard waste for curbside collection, please remember to follow these guidelines after cleaning up your yard: View or download our printable How-To-Guide here.
St. Johns County COVID-19 Garbage Pickup and Landfill Guidelines – Due to the impacts of COVID-19, St. Johns County Solid Waste has established the following guidelines regarding garbage pickup and landfill drop-off: Please place any items that can be picked up curbside instead of bringing it into the landfill. If items cannot be picked up curbside, but it is not a priority to dispose of them, please wait until the "stay at home" requirements have been lifted. If any items must be brought into the transfer station, please be prepared to wait to dump as County staff will be practicing safe social distances. The landfill and the drop-off dumpsters will be limited to three customers at a time. For more information, contact St. Johns County Solid Waste at 904.827.6980 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Miss a Community Collection day? Our transfer stations are open 6 days a week for your convenience.
Need to Clean Out the Medicine Cabinet? Check out the Sheriff's Office Operation Medicine Cabinet pharmaceutical take back program.
The Solid Waste Division will strive to manage waste and recyclable materials as resources for the future benefit of our community with a focus and commitment towards providing residents, commercial businesses, and local governments with efficient, effective, and environmentally conscientious programs and services. Our mission is based upon the delivery of sustainable services that meet the ever-changing solid waste management needs of our fast-growing community, while reducing our dependency on landfills.
The Solid Waste Division
- As part of our solid waste service, our department manages and operates two solid waste transfer stations, Tillman Ridge and Stratton Rd. Both facilities are open for residents and businesses throughout the county.
- Enforces Solid Waste Disposal Ordinances and manages contracts that cover all aspects of garbage, recycling, yard debris, hazardous waste, construction & commercial franchises and interlocal agreements.
- Manages and operates the Tillman Ridge Landfill in conformance with the Environmental Protection Agency and Florida Department of Environmental Protection permits, regulations.
- Oversees the curbside pick-up of solid waste generated by residential households by franchised haulers to ensure a high quality of service is provided to county residents.
- Provides education relating to recycling, litter control and prevention through various clean up, hazardous materials, and state grant programs.
- Manages the hazardous materials program, which helps improve mosquito control, beautification of County lands, and increased protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of St. Johns County.
- Oversees proper disposal of residential and commercial waste, household hazardous waste, white goods and tires, operations and maintenance of the Leachate Collection System, monitoring of groundwater quality and gas migration, and maintenance and monitoring of the closed landfill.