Solid Waste Division
News & Events
St. Johns County Residential Curbside Collection Survey – St. Johns County proudly provides residents with exceptional garbage, recycling, and yard waste services. The current contracts expire in July 2024 and the County is seeking input from residents on future services for residential curbside collection. Your voice is vital to ensure these programs continue to meet the needs of our community. If you live within unincorporated St. Johns County and have residential curbside collection, please take a moment to complete the Residential Curbside Collection Survey by Sept. 30, 2022. The survey will take approximately 5-10 minutes. Residents who submit their email addresses will be entered to win a recycled gift bag giveaway. For more information on the survey or to further discuss your residential curbside services, please call 904-827-6980 or email email@example.com.
Get the latest Solid Waste updates, resources, and more! Sign up for the monthly Solid Waste Newsletter
Miss a Community Collection day? Our transfer stations are open 6 days a week for your convenience.
Need to Clean Out the Medicine Cabinet? Check out the Sheriff's Office Operation Medicine Cabinet pharmaceutical take back program.
The Solid Waste Division will strive to manage waste and recyclable materials as resources for the future benefit of our community with a focus and commitment towards providing residents, commercial businesses, and local governments with efficient, effective, and environmentally conscientious programs and services. Our mission is based upon the delivery of sustainable services that meet the ever-changing solid waste management needs of our fast-growing community, while reducing our dependency on landfills.
The Solid Waste Division
- As part of our solid waste service, our department manages and operates two solid waste transfer stations, Tillman Ridge and Stratton Rd. Both facilities are open for residents and businesses throughout the county.
- Enforces Solid Waste Disposal Ordinances and manages contracts that cover all aspects of garbage, recycling, yard debris, hazardous waste, construction & commercial franchises and interlocal agreements.
- Manages and operates the Tillman Ridge Landfill in conformance with the Environmental Protection Agency and Florida Department of Environmental Protection permits, regulations.
- Oversees the curbside pick-up of solid waste generated by residential households by franchised haulers to ensure a high quality of service is provided to county residents.
- Provides education relating to recycling, litter control and prevention through various clean up, hazardous materials, and state grant programs.
- Manages the hazardous materials program, which helps improve mosquito control, beautification of County lands, and increased protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of St. Johns County.
- Oversees proper disposal of residential and commercial waste, household hazardous waste, white goods and tires, operations and maintenance of the Leachate Collection System, monitoring of groundwater quality and gas migration, and maintenance and monitoring of the closed landfill.