Solid Waste Division
News & Events
Are you ready for spring cleaning?
To prepare yard waste for curbside collection, please remember to follow these guidelines after cleaning up your yard: View or download our printable How-To-Guide here.
St. Johns County Yard Waste Collection Delays – Residents in northern St. Johns County may be experiencing a delay in yard waste collection. Republic Services is facing workforce shortages both locally and regionally and has encountered difficulties completing yard waste routes on scheduled service days. The St. Johns Solid Waste Division is working with Republic Services to ensure yard debris collections are being conducted as quickly as possible until scheduled services can resume. “St. Johns County appreciates your patience as we work with our provider to restore service to its regular schedule,” said Greg Caldwell, Director of St. Johns County Public Works. At this time, there should be no impacts to household garbage or recycling collection services. For more information, please call the St. Johns County Solid Waste Division at 904.827.6980.
Miss a Community Collection day? Our transfer stations are open 6 days a week for your convenience.
Need to Clean Out the Medicine Cabinet? Check out the Sheriff's Office Operation Medicine Cabinet pharmaceutical take back program.
The Solid Waste Division will strive to manage waste and recyclable materials as resources for the future benefit of our community with a focus and commitment towards providing residents, commercial businesses, and local governments with efficient, effective, and environmentally conscientious programs and services. Our mission is based upon the delivery of sustainable services that meet the ever-changing solid waste management needs of our fast-growing community, while reducing our dependency on landfills.
The Solid Waste Division
- As part of our solid waste service, our department manages and operates two solid waste transfer stations, Tillman Ridge and Stratton Rd. Both facilities are open for residents and businesses throughout the county.
- Enforces Solid Waste Disposal Ordinances and manages contracts that cover all aspects of garbage, recycling, yard debris, hazardous waste, construction & commercial franchises and interlocal agreements.
- Manages and operates the Tillman Ridge Landfill in conformance with the Environmental Protection Agency and Florida Department of Environmental Protection permits, regulations.
- Oversees the curbside pick-up of solid waste generated by residential households by franchised haulers to ensure a high quality of service is provided to county residents.
- Provides education relating to recycling, litter control and prevention through various clean up, hazardous materials, and state grant programs.
- Manages the hazardous materials program, which helps improve mosquito control, beautification of County lands, and increased protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of St. Johns County.
- Oversees proper disposal of residential and commercial waste, household hazardous waste, white goods and tires, operations and maintenance of the Leachate Collection System, monitoring of groundwater quality and gas migration, and maintenance and monitoring of the closed landfill.