Applicants for all types of services provided through St. Johns County must be physically residing in the County and provide verification of residency. Persons are considered County residents when they establish and maintain a living arrangement, outside of an institution, which they, or someone responsible for them, consider to be their home. The length of time a person physically resides in the County will not be a determining factor provided they don't maintain a residence in another County or State. Students who are away from home attending school will be considered residents of the County in which their parents live if they are claimed as dependents by their parents for Income Tax purposes.
Services Provided to Eligible Residents
- Referrals to Other Community Agencies
- DCF Access Community Partner
Social Services is a Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) Community Partner. We assist individuals and families apply for State benefits such as Food Assistance (SNAP), Temporary Cash Assistance and Medicaid.
- Limited Rental and Utility Assistance
Limited rental and utility assistance is available for St. Johns County residents if you have a documented financial crisis. Assistance can only be provided once in an 18 month period.
- Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP)
The EHEAP program provides heating/cooling (Electric) bill assistance for ages 60 and older. Payment is made to the energy vendor or landlord (if utilities are included with the rent) on behalf of the eligible household that meets income and residency criteria.
- Hospital Inpatient Physician, Specialty Physician Visits, and Outpatient Services
The Social Services Medical Program covers a variety of medically related services needed in life-threatening and critical care situations.
- Eligibility Determination for the following:
- Indigent / Unclaimed Cremations - Pursuant to Florida Statues, Chapter 406, the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners is responsible for the disposition of indigent or unclaimed persons who expire in St. Johns County.
- Heath Care Responsibility Act (HCRA)
- Solid Waste Tax Exemption - Social Services Division provides interviewing, screening, and eligibility determination to applicants requesting assistance based on financial hardship.
Social Services Brochure
Social Services staff remain up-to-date with services available within the community and will provide you with information and assist you in navigating through the available community resources. Social Services provides assistance to St. Johns County residents under the umbrella of the Health and Human Services Department.
Program services are available for applicants without health insurance coverage. For those with inadequate coverage, the Social Services Department will not supplement or provide assistance for persons who have reached the maximum coverage of their insurance.
Have questions or need assistance? We are open to assist you! Please call (904) 209-6140.
- Social Services - Main Office – Monday thru Friday, 8am to 5pm
200 San Sebastian View, Suite 2300
St. Augustine, FL 32084
- Social Services - Hastings Office – Tuesday & Thursday, 10am to 5pm
Hastings Library, 6195 S Main St.
Hastings, FL 32145