Project Status: The USACE contractor completed the construction phase of the Coastal Storm Risk Management project and has begun demobilizing equipment and personnel. Heavy equipment activity will continue along the entirety of the project area from Serenata Beach to the inlet for the remainder of the month. Please refrain from walking or sitting on the dune crest as this will damage the dune feature. Dune planting is scheduled to commence in March.
Equipment Mobilized to the Beach: September
• Surfside Park Closed
• Vilano Beach Driving Closed
• Pipeline Placed
Construction Start: Early to Mid-October 2020
Construction Completion: Early 2021, Weather Permitting
- The project extends from the Ocean Villas at Serenata Beach to just north of Nease Beach Front Park.
- Fifty year project with periodic nourishments.
- Rebuilding the dune to the 2015 conditions and widening the flat beach by 60 feet from where it was in 2015.
- The project has been fully approved and funded using a combination of USACE, State, County Tourist Development "Bed Tax", and MSTU funds. Assessment of the MSTU will begin on the November 2020 tax bill.
For more information, please see the Coastal Storm Risk Management Public Handout
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Project Website also has additional information.
For more information, please contact the Coastal Management team at (904) 209-0260, or email@example.com.