Project Status: The USACE contractor completed the construction phase of the Coastal Storm Risk Management project and demobilized construction equipment and personnel. Dune planting commenced end of March and will continue the next few weeks. Activity will continue along the entirety of the project area from Serenata Beach to the inlet for the remainder of April. Surfside Park continues to be the staging area. Please continue to refrain from sitting on the dune crest. Property owners and their guests may walk over the dune and back on their property using care to minimize damage the new planting.
- Construction completed January 5, 2021
- De-mobilization continues
- Dune Planting commenced end of March 2021
- The project extends from the Ocean Villas at Serenata Beach to just north of Nease Beach Front Park.
- Fifty year project with periodic nourishments.
- Rebuilding the dune to the 2015 conditions and widening the flat beach by 60 feet from where it was in 2015.
- The project has been fully approved and funded using a combination of USACE, State, County Tourist Development "Bed Tax", and MSTU funds. Assessment of the MSTU will begin on the November 2020 tax bill.
For more information, please see the Coastal Storm Risk Management Public Handout
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Project Website also has additional information.
For more information, please contact the Coastal Management team at (904) 209-0260, or email@example.com.