2020 St. Johns County Lifeguard Program
Become an Ocean Lifeguard! St. Johns County Fire Rescue (SJCFR) to hold annual seasonal lifeguard tryouts for the 2020 beach season. We are in need of highly motivated and qualified personnel to help staff our beaches this summer. Details on the seasonal hiring process and the 2020 Training Academy are posted below.
We do not accept paper applications or resumés. To submit an application for employment use our Marine Rescue Online Application System.
Step 1: Initial Paperwork
All potential new guards are required to turn in the following paperwork at the time of the Physical Qualifying Test (see dates below.) You must use the official St. Johns County forms posted below.
- New Guard Hiring Checklist – Please use the checklist to ensure that you follow all of the steps required to complete training with St. Johns County Marine Rescue and be eligible for consideration as being hired as a seasonal lifeguard.
- Physical Exam Form – Must be 100% complete, signed by you, and signed and stamped by the doctor of your choice. You can only use the provided form; incomplete forms will not be accepted.
- Lifeguard Academy Training Waiver – Must be signed and notarized. If you are over 18, do not fill out your information in the parent guardian section. If you are under 18, you will need to have this section completed by your parent / guardian. Please be advised that you are allowed to attend the Marine Rescue Academy at 17 yrs old, but will not be eligible to be employed by St. Johns County until after your 18th birthday.
- Background Authorization Form – Complete the form and attach a copy of your driver’s license and social security card. If you do not have a social security card you will need to apply for a new one, visit faq.ssa.gov for more information.
Step 2: Attend Tryout / Physical Recertification
All guards are required to attend a physical qualification test and pass the following standards prior to the start of the Marine Rescue Academy. Tryouts will be held at the Solomon Calhoun Pool, unless otherwise noted.
- 500 Swim in under 10:00
- ½ Mile Run in under 3:30
All tryouts will be at the Solomon Calhoun Pool, 1300 Duval Street, St. Augustine Fl 32084.
2019 - 2020
- Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 9 a.m.
- Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 9 a.m.
- Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 9 a.m.
- Saturday, March 7, 2020 at 9 a.m.
- Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 9 a.m.
- Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 9 a.m.
- Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 9 a.m.
Step 3: Attend Marine Rescue Academy
All potential new guards are required to attend the Marine Rescue Academy in order to be eligible for hire with St. Johns County Marine Rescue. The Marine Rescue Academy consist of 40 hours of Emergency Medical Responder, 8 hours of CPR, 40 hours of advanced USLA surf rescue training. Everyone is required to attend the Academy in its entirety regardless of previous experience with other beaches or advanced medical training (guards will receive bonus ranking points for EMT, Paramedic certifications).
- Marine Rescue Academy I: Saturday, May 2 – Friday, May 22, 2020
Classes are held Monday, Wednesday, Friday 6 to 10 p.m., and Saturday, Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Mandatory County Orientation Meeting: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 3 p.m.
- Mandatory Staff Meeting: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 5 p.m.
Guards wishing to attend Marine Rescue Academy I
- Initial Paperwork – Due by Monday, May 27, 2020 or at the time of tryout whichever occurs first.
- Last Scheduled Tryout – Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 9 a.m.
- First Day of Class – Saturday, May 2, 2020