Community Development Block Grant
News & Announcements
Fair Housing Forums – The Housing and Community Services Division of St. Johns County is in the process of conducting an Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice. This process and resulting document are part of the fair housing planning required of communities that receive certain funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice is intended to identify specific barriers to fair housing and propose recommendations for addressing those barriers.
The process of conducting an Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice involves conducting public Fair Housing Forums and collecting information from citizens through the Fair Housing Survey, as well as analyzing numerous data sources and related resources. Public Meetings were held November 8, 2018.
Fair Housing Survey – St. Johns County is conducting a study regarding impediments to fair housing choice. Known as the “Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice,” the study is required by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
The goal of the research is to identify whether barriers and adverse policies exist in a variety of housing arenas such as rentals and sales, lending, insurance, and the public sector. Part of the study includes collecting the opinions and experiences of people who are involved in the housing industry, including housing consumers. As such, you are being asked to aid the County by taking part in this survey effort.
This survey should take less than 10 minutes, and your comments will remain anonymous. Survey closes on December 15, 2018 and results will be available to the public by March 2019. Thank you for taking the Fair Housing Survey.
CDBG Funds Expended for Affordable Housing/Homeless Housing – On July 20, 2018, CDBG funds purchased five condominiums to be used for affordable housing for families and seniors who have experienced homelessness. Alpha-Omega Miracle Home had been renting the condominiums from an agent who desired to sell the units. The seller agreed to sell the condominiums at a price below the appraised value. Therefore, the condominiums will remain part of the County’s affordable housing stock, for decades to come, and Alpha-Omega Miracle Home can continue to support families as they grow toward self-sufficiency.
2018-2019 CDBG Annual Action Plan – The 2018-2019 Annual Action Plan was approved by the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners on July 17, 2018. The Annual Action Plan is now being reviewed by staff of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). HUD approval of the Action Plan is expected by the end of September, with the funding to be available before December 2018.
For the 2018-2019 Fiscal Year, HUD allocated $918,973 for St. Johns County. The FY2018-2019 Action Plan will provide for the following expenditures:
- $258,282 for renovations and improvements to the Flagler Estates Park.
- $129,722 for renovations and improvements to the Armstrong Park.
- $297,175 for installation of a sidewalk in Flagler Estates.
- $50,000 for homeless prevention services.
- $183,794 for HUD-approved administrative and planning costs associated with establishing and maintaining a CDBG program.
Community Development Block Grant Program
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program is a flexible program that provides communities with resources to address a wide range of unique community development needs. Beginning in 1974, the CDBG program is one of the longest continuously run programs at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The CDBG program provides annual grants on a formula basis to 1209 general units of local government and States. St Johns County, in cooperation with the City of St Augustine Beach, met the population requirement in 2015 to be considered an Entitlement Community by HUD. The CDBG entitlement program allocates annual grants to larger cities and urban counties to develop viable communities by providing decent housing, a suitable living environment, and opportunities to expand economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons.
- 2017-2018 Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report – Public Notice
- Fair Housing Forums - Public Meetings Notice
- 2018-2019 Annual Action Plan – Draft
- 2018-2019 Proposed Action Plan – Public Notice
- 2018 CDBG Survey Results
- 2018 CDBG Application Scoring Public Notice
- 2018 CDBG Survey
- 2018 CDBG Application – CLOSED
- 2018 CDBG Meeting Schedule
- St. Johns County 2016-2020 Consolidated Plan
- St. Johns County Citizen Participation Plan
- Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report – Public Notice
- Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report
- 2016-2017 Action Plan Substantial Amendment Draft 11/17/2017
- Substantial Amendment Public Notice 11/17/2017 – Posted November 17, 2017
- CDBG Public Meeting Notice – November 27, 2017
- Substantial Amendment Public Notice – Date Changed to October 3, 2017
- Substantial Amendment Public Notice – Cancelled due to Hurricane Irma
- Substantial Amendment to Consolidated Plan & 2016-2017 Action Plan – Draft (7MB PDF)
- 2017-2018 Annual Action Plan – Public Notice
- Scoring Notice 2017
- 2017 CDBG Public Hearings
- 2017 CDBG Application – CLOSED
- 2017 CDBG Survey – CLOSED